Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Water Cress Soup

Wednesday, 2 June 2010
















I shop weekly at Fairprice for all my groceries. Seeing the water cress on offer, I selected 2 bunches to boil soup. LOVE Water Cress Soup when I 1st tasted it at an ex-neighbour's place in Sim's Drive. My late-mum was forbidden to cook any cooling food at home. Late-dad threw the water cress away when I asked her to buy. Dear hubby & jiejie love it too so I cook it quite often for dinner.

Whilst working at DBS in Clifford Centre, I had ordered Water Cress Soup at the old Boat Quay. The stems were long, hard & very difficult to chew. With a pressure cooker, it's very easy to boil this soup. The water cress are soft & so yummy that I need at least 2 bunches of them.

Here is how I cooked them.

Ingredients
2 bunch  Water cress
500 g  Spare rib  (I use PorKee prime rib)
1  Honey dates
9  Red dates 
3 Tbsp Kei chee
5 slice  Ginger
Abt 3lit  Water
1.5 tsp  Salt  (can vary to your liking)

Method
1.  Rinse the watercress twice & cut into shorter section.
2.  Blanch the pork bone.  Soak honey dates in hot water to soften.
3.  Rinse red dates & kei chee.
4.  Heat up a big pot of water, add all the ingredients.
5.  Cover & pressure-cook for abt 20 mins.

Note
I'm using a pressure cooker on induction hob, you may need to cook for abt 2-4 hrs if using a normal pot on gas stove.

No comments:

Post a Comment