Wednesday, June 30, 2010

My First Fondant Cake

20 Jun 2010


Yesterday I attended 2 food workshops from 10.30am - 3pm learning to make `Jiao Zi' & Cookie Decoration conducted by Shira in her estate's Multi-Purpose Hall. After class, I borrowed from her a set of alphabet to cut the fondant (sugarpaste) lettering for the Father's Day Cake. Came back to prepare the steamboat ingredients for dinner & baked an easy-to-make 10" square sponge cake using Optima flour at night. 

Was eager to experiment with fondant for the 1st time so this morning I tried to create a shirt that I had seen in Jane's blog recently. Initially I was having problem rolling out a big flat sheet as my rolling pin is not long enough. Was attempting a few times with meimei before I could successfully get a sheet big enough to cover the entire cake. We then cut off the excess along the edges with a pizza cutter. Next we rolled a long strip of fondant for a stand-up collar but the fondant was too soft. We finished off with pasting on the lettering and the buttons.

Gege is going out to attend a friend's birthday party so we cut the cake after lunch. Usually my cream cake disappeared very fast but the fondant is too sweet for my family liking. Not wanting to waste food & effort, I tried to eat a few more slices, the high sugar content irritated my throat.  Had to brew & drink many cups of chrysanthemum herbal tea to clear my sore throat & phlegm.

Hiax! Is there a special cake recipe for fondant decoration? Heard from Gina that most locals would throw away the fondant & eat the cake only. That's a waste! Probably I should stick to making cream cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment